Food for Others distributes food to the more than 2,600 local families each week. They are able to provide this support through the help of the community.
Food donations are accepted at the Merrifield Warehouse, Monday – Friday. The warehouse is located at 2983 Prosperity Ave, Fairfax, VA 22031. Most needed items:
- Fresh fruits (oranges, apples, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, grapes, berries)
- Fresh vegetables (cucumbers, celery, peppers, lettuce, eggplant)
- Canned chili
- Canned tomato products (crushed, peeled, diced, etc.), 4oz – 1 lb
- Canned meat (chicken, beef, turkey, or seafood), 2oz – 15oz
- Rice, 16oz packages
- Spaghetti sauce, 14oz – 1 lb (ideally in cans instead of glass)
- Canned fruit (packed in fruit juice instead of syrup) 11oz – 20oz
- Dried or canned beans (black, kidney, pinto, etc.)
- Fruit juice (100% juice) 32oz – 64oz
- New or Clean Reusable Grocery Bags 8 ½ x 14 x 15
- We are also happy to accept perishable items including meat and dairy products that are sealed, in their original packaging, and unexpired.
Monetary donations can be made online or by writing a check.
Volunteer opportunities are available for those 12 years of age and older at the warehouse. Advanced sign-ups are required. Other volunteer opportunities are also available.